Monday, November 9, 2020

GController Woes

    Since last time, I have finished the DirectX 11 port. It works great, and I even ported over a previous Gateware project I had from a few months ago with very little effort. I had to get rid of all the input detection I had as it was using functions that just aren't available on UWP. I honestly surprised myself with how quickly it came together. All the old Gateware calls I originally wrote 6-7 months ago for a different platform worked on UWP thanks to the work I have done thus far. With that out of the way, on to GController I went.


Problem:

    The initial plan was to just get the Xinput library implemented for Win32 to work. From the research that was done, it should have been possible to use that code as is and just have it work. It would compile just fine, but it would not sense any input being sent in. As hard as I tried it just would not work for me. Time is running short before graduation so I can't allow myself to get stuck on any one thing for too long. I still have a minor issue with suspend and resume I need to address.

Solution:

    The solution to this problem turned out to just be rewriting a good portion of the library using WinRT APIs. This took two days to get working fully, my whole weekend. But now that I have Xbox One controllers working on UWP, getting general controller support will very easy. Getting general controller support on UWP working could also bring it to the Win32 platform as the APIs can also be used there. That would allow Win32 to finally have PS4 controller support.

To Do:

  • Fix the Suspend/Resume issue.
  • Get general controller support.
  • Merge development branch into App development branch to get up to date fixes for libraries.
  • DirectX 12

No comments:

Post a Comment