Saturday, April 22, 2023

Week 3 of Gateware: MacOS

     For the past 5 days, I have been dealing with the donor MacBook. Originally, I was using it to fix a compiler issue involving GController unit tests, but in the process of doing so, I found another issue where GSource doesn't seem to compile using the latest Vulkan SDK version. After some research, we believe that the issue is that the OS on the donor MacBook is simply too outdated and we are hoping that updating the OS will solve the issue. So I just had to update the OS and the problem should be fixed. Simple, right? Of course not. Since the MacBook also had Linux and Windows operating systems on it, there wasn't enough space to install the update. So I had to factory reset the Mac and re-install the OS, but for whatever reason, it couldn't download the installer and install the OS. So I had to get access to the second donor MacBook, download a new MacOS (Monterey), transfer it to a USB drive, convert that USB drive to a bootable installer, plug it into the original MacBook, and then I can finally install a newer OS. And I am happy to say that it did successfully install. ☺

    Now with the new OS installed, I can start re-installing all the necessary software to compile and run GSource and everything was moving smoothly until I got to XCode. To use XCode, you need to sign into your Apple ID account, which we have. However, two-factor authentication has been set up for the account and we currently have no way around it. I'm hoping to soon find who set up the two-factor authentication so we can get rid of it, but if we can't find that person, things might get a little more complicated.

    It might be asking too much, but I'm hoping that once we've got this Vulkan compiler issues sorted out, I'll be able to figure out the other bug fixes fairly quickly so that I can get started on the UWP tasks and just have to worry about the Windows development environment. But as everything in the development world, that probably won't be the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment