Friday, November 16, 2018

Third week on Gateware Linux research

 11/16/2018

Month 1, Week 4

Author: Devin Wright


This week was spent researching and implementing  Linux controller support, as well as writing up the first draft of my API document.  Having done some initial research on Linux back in week one I had a pretty good idea of where to start. My original lead was to look into the use of evdev for reading event devices created in /dev/input, however when testing the PS4 controller I found that it does not create a event for button/axes input(it does create an event but it is for the touch pad which it treated like a mouse) it does create a joystick though.  At first I tried to read from the /dev/input/js files using evdev to no avail. So, I began looking into how to read data from js files and found that Linux has a Joystick API for reading from them. After, creating  a demo using the Joystick API  I looked into finding a way to detect when new js files were created and deleted and found the inotify API which can be used to get events when new files are added or deleted from a directory. I also created a small demo to test and see if I could create a file directory from using inotify which was a success.

At this point I have started writing up the final draft for my API documentation, and I am also continuing my research into Mac controller support. After, I finish my API documentation if I time before the start of next month I will spend some time going back and looking into controller support on Mac. One thing I want to look at is the proper use of Run Loops which I believe might be one of the keys to fixing my HIDManager implementation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment