Friday, June 18, 2021

Linux Minimize Event - end of my attempt

So far this week I was working on the Minimize event not being reported on Linux, I had trouble setting up my Linux OS on my second internal. This bug is not an easy bug to fix because 'PropertyNotify' is not being returned when the event of Minimizing the window happens, while it is maximized. Since it is not being returned, it does not go into our case statement that checks what state the window is in and prints us information. 

I noticed that if we tried to minimize while max'd we get an 'Unmap' return rather than the 'PropertyNotify' so I tried to add case statements for map and unmap. I was then going to try and differentiate between when a window is closed, or minimized. I dont think it would have been that bad because I believe there were checks for if the window is being closed or is closed that happens before we listen to events.

 Since this bug was taking too much time and I am still an intern, we decided to move me onto another ticket. My ticket now is to create output messages that tell the user if a certain library is dependent on another library. This should not stop the program from running (dummies will run). The messages should let the user know the tests will run, but the tests that do not have their dependencies will possibly fail or not yield good results.

My time here at GW so far has been a little intense with the bugs that got complicated. Although I could not fix the Mac audio problem or the Minimize event not being reported on linux, I got a lot of experience with working in each environment (Linux was friendly as expected). Working on these different bugs was pretty cool too, I learned some new stuff just by going through the code itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment