Friday, May 27, 2022

gtl::factory is operational

gtl::factory has definitely been an interesting structure to handle, but the experience I've gained during my month of research has been well worth it. I got to update a structure, create unit tests for it, stress test, and optimize the structure for use within Gateware. Factory was compared against std::vector, std::list, and gtl::ld_vector for speed. When running the tests I found that my first attempt on iterators wasn't as optimal as it could be, and I ended up doing research on how to make them operate similarly to std::vector. Most of the work that I had to add to factory was iterator related, since most of the other functions had existed previously, though any memory allocation related functions had to be refactored so they could accommodate resizable structures like strings. Other issues I found with factory were also crossplatform related, as I would find mac didn't exactly play nice with any mistakes that Visual Studio would ignore, though the issues being highlighted helped me get a better footing on where to fix my work on factory.

    All in all, it's been a very interesting month to say the least, a bit of a different take compared to my previous months where I had seen more graphics and math related tasks. This research project that I ended up undertaking to make sure factory was up and operating with ease was great! Now I continue my journey with Gateware into my fourth and final month of Capstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment