Monday, October 12, 2020

Getting Gateware Unit Tests to Run on Xbox One

    Since last Wednesday when I wrote my last blog, I have got quite a bit done. The GFile port is officially done with all new GFile functionality working on all platforms. The issue that I found on Mac last week turned out to be a new bug that only seems to appear on MacBooks, very strange.  After that, I finally got the chance to merge with GApp, the class that Lari wrote for all future mobile ports of Gateware. There was only a few conflicts to resolve and a tweak to get it working perfectly. I finished all that before the end of the day on Friday and figured it was about time I got around to actually putting Gateware on an Xbox, the main reason of bringing Gateware to UWP.

The Process:

    The steps required to get an Xbox One or any other variant of the Xbox lineup into developer mode is quite simple. The Xbox One that I have currently was lent to me to work on and it already had dev mode enabled, but for the sake of knowing how it is done, I started from scratch. I deactivated it and went from there.


    There are very comprehensive guides that can be found on Microsoft's website. I followed them as long as I could until I ran into an issue. As of writing this, there seems to be a bug with the dev mode app that can be downloaded from the Windows Store. It seems to allows hang on this screen, which is a big problem if you want to start developing on the console.



    After looking around for a solution, I found an alternate solution as to how to get into dev mode. This solution requires hitting all four shoulder buttons on the controller at the same time in the System Console Info section in the settings app.


    Once all 4 buttons have been pressed the option shown above appears, pressing that will bring up the dev mode conformation screen.


    Pressing Continue, the console will appear to reboot and after about 5 or so minutes, the Xbox will boot up into dev mode.


    The next step in the process is getting Visual Studios setup properly to connect with the Xbox. Instead of me just rehashing what is already explained really well in a Microsoft document, I will just link it here. In short though, it is as simple as typing in the correct IP address in the properties tab of the project.

The Result:



No comments:

Post a Comment