Monday, October 12, 2020

WARNING: fixing warnings...

Week 1

    So I'm new but I've been here for a couple of weeks already. I just forgot to do the first weeks blog post. Super professional, I know. 

    In my defense, there really wasn't anything too interesting going on. I was just trying to get dev environments set up on the three major platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux). The only real problem I had was during the installation of Linux.

    I was trying to set up a dual boot situation on my main Windows machine so I would be able to boot into either. The Gateware repo has a tutorial on the subject which I followed. Everything started off just fine. I was able to boot into the Linux Mint installation environment from a USB drive and then create a new partition on one of my SSD's. The problem arose when I went to perform the actual install of Linux. 

    The installer is supposed to recognize your Windows installation and then give you an option to "install alongside Windows" but for whatever reason, mine didn't. I had to do everything manually. This meant I had to designate parts of the new partition as /root and /home and pick their sizes/formats by hand. Thankfully there's plenty of online materials and tutorials that tell you how big and what format these things should be. The only problem was a suspicious dropdown box at the bottom of the installer that I didn't pay attention to. This box is for telling the installer where to put the boot sector.

    It defaulted to my Windows drive...

    So, as you can probably surmise, I ended up overwriting my Windows boot sector and loosing access to my Windows install. All of my files and data were still there, I just couldn't boot into Windows to access them. 

    I didn't realize exactly what happened at first so I thought I could just boot into Linux, delete the boot sector, and then have my Windows back, good as new. So I did that and now I had no access to any operating systems at all. 

    The solution to this, was to go on another computer, create a Windows installation media USB drive, boot off of that, access the command prompt, and tell it to reinstall the Windows boot sector. Thankfully it worked, and I was able to begin the process again and properly select a different drive for the Linux boot sector. 

    And that's pretty much all the excitement for the first week. Everything else was just, "does this compile and run? Ok, cool. Moving on."

Week 2

    Now that I think about it, week one was way more interesting than week two. The first half of the week was just experimenting with the end-user side of Gateware to get a better understanding. The second half was just searching through warnings on Windows and fixing the ones that affect the end-user.

    That's pretty much it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment