Monday, January 13, 2020

Plague Doctor's Journal - January 6th - 10th

January 6th:
      I arrived at 11:30 A.M. to this diseased place, returning from my winter tide's retreat.
      Signs of the disease began with our Vulkan engineer, who was feeling unwell and coughing in            fits. The beginning of the plague for certain, though I did not notice at the time.
      On this day I was given task to aid Alex in readying for a release of Gateware on the olden                  architecture, and began such before the day was out. Our time to do so was consumed primarily          by the meeting through which we were assigned the task, this day was primarily uneventful.

January 7th:
      After stopping for a morning meal I arrived at the office only to learn that Derrick had been taken        by the plague. An honorable sacrifice indeed, as he attempted to save our kind from the                        pestilence that had struck him down. It wasn't enough however, as Ryan was showing similar              signs of suffering by the end of the day. I spent this time oblivious, aiding Alex in clearing out            errors before we were ready to release gateware. I found him a step ahead of me throughout, and        was not as impactful as I might have hoped. By the end of the day we had near readied ourselves.

January 8th:
      Another casualty to the plague. Striking fast, it took Ryan with it on this day. Unforeseen it took          another! Chris had also fallen victim on this day, two of our own stricken with plague anew. On          this day Alex had also begun to show symptoms of the dreaded disease, but he was able to power        through his raising discomfort and aid me in releasing gateware to our users. A valiant effort                indeed.

January 9th:
      By now my empathy was waning. Three more victims stricken down. Alex had fallen after his            glorious stand on the previous day, Kai's dedication to his work proved weaker than the might of        fate, and Johnny was left without his teammate as Marc was overwhelmed from a distance, the            first non-gateware to be felled by our curse. Only Caio, Jadon and I remaining, this day was a              complete wash. Morale low, I found myself trying, failing, and trying yet again to install a new            program that simply refused to cooperate. A day without progress is a sad day indeed.

January 10th:
      Jadon fell as well on this day, but the dead returned! Chris found his way to the land of the living        on this day, as well as Ryan, who had been haunting the office until this point. Beaten by the                rogue program, I changed priorities to engage myself with the renewed member of the porting            team, and began work on porting GFile to the new architecture. Our team may be recovering, but        I fear that the spread of pestilence has left us and joined the world outside, to strike anew those            spared from our graces. I only thank the fates that I was not stricken, and pray that mine and                Caio's safety may continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment