Friday, June 17, 2022

Second to last Week of Final Project

I've reached a point where I may very well be working on the last set of tasks before my graduation. This week, I did research into why our Macbook had very strange behaviors after installing the new MacOS. In its current form, GWindow has a race condition that I have yet to find the source of beyond a function call to "nextEventMatchingMask" whose apparent use is to perform an event clean up on GWindow for MacOS.
Another odd behavior I encountered while working with the mac for the first half of the week was the Mac's output window logging an error during GAudio's test, but passing the unit test as normal. This doesn't seem to have any harm upfront, but certainly does make the output a bit messy when running the unit test suite on MacOS Monetery.

And Finally, after spending a few days with the Mac and XCode, I decided to take a breather and recollect as I had been surfing through apple documentation for most of the time spent while trying to crack the race condition on Monterey. While I stepped back, I went back to GVulkanSurface to begin implementing the foundation for a new feature: Multiple Render Passes. In its default state, GVulkan surface only has reference to a single render pass, which makes tasks such as rendering UI very difficult, since many sources on the topic of UI and Vulkan point in the direction of using multiple passes to render out World geometry and the UI. At the current moment, I have added a factory of pairs to hold the Renderpasses and user specified flags for rendering.


m_VkRenderPasses is the container that will hold all the information for renderpasses in a future version of Gateware. By Default, GVulkanSurface uses index 0 upon creation and users can expand the container by using addRenderPass(), a planned function that will allow users to simply create a new renderpass and add it to the container.

It's such a bizarre feeling to know there's just one more week before my graduation. I'm happy to have the experiences I gained through Gateware, and am excited for Full Sail's Post-Mortem presentations next Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment