Tuesday, November 12, 2019

No Such Thing As Too Many Tabs

Going into Gateware I knew it would be a challenge, I signed up for a challenge and I'm loving it. Not only do I get to work in this new environment that is cross platform development on a team but I got the unique privilege to learn about DevOps. Learning GitLab has been something I wanted to do since I heard about it many month ago. I understood it would be hard for me to grasp, (harder even when it's compressed into a FullSail schedule). Just getting started with the process had me fighting my demons of vague/assumptious documentation as well as command prompts. Though I know the battle with these will never be over, I have become more confident in myself in the ability to overcome tasks that I may find daunting at times.

The more I learn about Gateware the more my mind opens up and the more respect I gain for everybody that has contributed to it. DevOps on the other hand is not my realm, but like I said brefore, I do love a challenge. See, for me C++ is a beautiful language. Everything has a purpose that I can grasp or derive some understanding of; even if it's obscure due to unique design styles or limitations. There is almost always a purpose to functional code in C++ and even it is difficult to understand at first, in someway it makes sense because you can always trace it back down to memory and memory is where things make sense to me.

DevOps though, well... not so much. Do I understand why certain things are the way they are? Sure, lets go with that. Is there decent documentation on these technologies? Highly debatable. Does it bring me some weird twisted joy to have 20 something tabs open when trying to figure out why one command doesn't work? Why yes, yes it does.

Some people just "say" they like a challenge but those people haven't had every single command break on them even though it's exactly what the tutorial from the people who made that tech say to do. But. That's development, and if I didn't like it I wouldn't have made it this far with a smile on my face (figuratively speaking of course, something about bad documentation makes a man forget to smile on occasion).

Lastly, I'd like to say that if I don't go home with my brain feeling like it's been run through a Tom & Jerry episode, I get bored. It's fairly understood that when you are having fun that time flies, and I find it hard to believe that I am already in week 3. I'm excited to continue learning how to work in this environment, and I'm excited to defeat my monster that is GitLab CI/CD but most of all I'm excited for the feeling of accomplishing the challenges that are yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment