Friday, November 22, 2019

Powerman 5000 once said, "When Worlds Collide" (The end of my collision detection research)

For the past few weeks, I've been researching a lot of information on collision detection and subjects related. It's been an extreme struggle to really hone in on the most used functions a collision detection library should have, which ones are going to get the most use from the Gateware users, and what's within the scope of this project lifetime. Collision detection is a huge subject in itself and ultimately I had to really get a lot of feedback from our LSA and poll both Full Sail students and instructors. In addition to that, I then had to use that information and propose an interface I think is user-friendly and follow coding standards and architecture.

Time quickly when by until I had to finalize my thoughts and research into something I was confident with to provide an adequate collision detection library interface. I have 13 shapes and 11 functions to make some huge number of combinations which can be seen below. Most of these functions are overloaded and only account for the float type implementation (there is a double type implementation) which comes out to a huge amount of writing the complete proposed interface. I would be crazy to meticulously write each function line by line, but, as a programmer, I'm lazy and opted to generalize as much as possible to make a function to generate the interface. All that was left was to change specific pieces here and there while checking for mistakes.



No comments:

Post a Comment